Title of the Project: Promotion of Human Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Bangladesh (PHRPBD)
Period: July 2018 to June 2021
Budget: BDT 82,247,574.00
Donor: CBM Australia
|Division||District||Sub-district/City Corporation/ Municipality||Union/Ward||Name of Partners|
|Dhaka||Faridpur||Faridpur Sadar||Ambikapur union||AKK|
|Dhaka||Faridpur||Faridpur Sadar||Macchar union|
|Chittagong||Chittagong||Chittagong city corporation||33 No Firingi bazar Ward||JSUS|
|Chittagong||Chittagong||Chittagong city corporation||34 No Pathorgata Ward|
|Dhaka||Gazipur||Gazipur city corporation||Tongi (Zone- 1)||BERDO|
|Dhaka||Gazipur||Gazipur city corporation||GachaPubail (Zone- 2)|
|Chittagong||Cox’s bazar||Chakaria||ChakariaPouroshova (Municipal)||SARPV|
|Chittagong||Cox’s bazar||Chakaria||Baraitoli union|
Focus Area (According to CDD’s strategic Plan):
Improved quality of life of persons with disabilities through effective local resources that ensures inclusion for all.
Target communities have mechanisms and resources in place that enable better inclusion for people with disabilities and other marginalized groups.
- Self help groups and apex bodies as resource platforms for inclusion of people with disabilities and other marginalized groups in their communities;
- Increased local government support for people with disability to improve access for mental health support, livelihoods and protection mechanisms especially for women and children with disabilities from abuse;
- Local government and community demonstrate commitment and support to increased access of children with disabilities to inclusive education through active engagement;
- CDD and partner NGOs demonstrate capacity in disability inclusive development approaches across sectors.
Contribute to SDG Goal(s):
Goal 1: End poverty in all its forms everywhere
Goal 3: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
Goal 4: Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning
Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
Goal 10: Reduce inequality within and among countries
Goal 16: Promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies
Contribute to UNCRPD Article(s):
5 – Equality and non-discrimination
Article 6 – Women with disabilities
Article 7 – Children with disabilities
Article 8 – Awareness-raising
Article 9 – Accessibility
Article 10 – Right to life
Article 13 – Access to justice
Article 19 – Living independently and being included in the community
Article 20 – Personal mobility
Article 21 – Freedom of expression and opinion, and access to information
Article 24 – Education
Article 25 – Health
Article 26 – Habilitation and rehabilitation
Article 27 – Work and employment
Article 28 – Adequate standard of living and social protection
Article 29 – Participation in political and public life
Article 30 – Participation in cultural life, recreation, leisure and sport
Brief Description of the project (within 200 word -What we want to achieve):
Promotion of Human Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Bangladesh (PHRPBD) project is functioning in 8 districts of Bangladesh through nine partner NGOs. This project aims to improve the quality of life of persons with disabilities through effective local resources that ensures inclusion for all. Under the project, there are 90 Self Help Groups (SHG) where 9 groups are comprises of only women and 9 comprises of Youth. These SHGs are led by their apex bodies and the apex body consists of the auspicious members from the self-help groups of each working area. The project contributes to empower persons with disabilities through creating linkages with local institutions and government through advocacy and orientation for their inclusion in local level development initiatives. SHG and apex body members are playing their role as resource platform for disability inclusion in all the stages of the mainstream society. At the same time, this project will engage local government and community for better inclusion of persons with disabilities and other marginalized people of the community in mental health support, livelihood, inclusive education and protection mechanisms especially for women and children with disabilities.
Major Achievements (Max 6- till 25 January 2020):
Major Achievements can be described in some focus area:
- Local government:
- 13 Union Parishads and 01 Municipality allocated budget for the development of persons with disabilities (BDT 13,30,000 for the 2019-20 fiscal year)
- 865 persons with disabilities (M-406, F-459) included in safety net schemes.
- Health & Rehabilitation:
- 379 persons with disabilities (M–95, F–67, B–123, G–94) received primary rehabilitation therapy
- 110 persons with disabilities (M–44, F–16, B–32, G–18) received assistive devices
- 563 person with mental disorder (M–141, F –213, B–134, G–75) assessed in outreach camp
- 231 (M–58, F–93, B–44, G–36) people with mental illness received medicine support from project
- 34 persons with disabilities (male- 21, female- 13) employed in formal sector and 85 persons with disabilities (male- 39, female-46) included in IGA.
- 126 SHG members (M-68, F-58) involved in group based IGA.
- 94 (M- 97, F- 51) received vocational training through creating linkage with stakeholder.
- In total 34 groups are practicing VSLA (Village savings and loan approach)
- Inclusive education:
- 10 govt. primary and 02 Secondary schools are practicing Inclusive education in one project location (Kulaura, Moulvibazar).
- Local education authority and community support to develop inclusive environment in 12 selected schools. Community contributed BDT 2,080,770 which is 62% of the total budget (BDT 3,312,270).
- Total 88 (G- 35, B- 53) children with disabilities and 133 (G-58, B-75) children from marginalized community (e.g.-tea garden) enrolled in school.
- Community protection:
- 18 child safeguarding watch group (CSG) were formed in all project location.
- 27 orientations were organized with legal aid service providers at community level on violence against women & children with disabilities.
Changes (Max 6- till 25 January 2020):
- SHGs and apex bodies emerged as advocate for the person with disabilities of their community. Now SHG and apex body members become members of standing committee, SMC, market committee, etc. and working together with the decision makers;
- Project initiated to organize inclusive sports and cultural events. Now in most of the project locations government departments are replicating this event.
- Scarcity of medicines for persons with mental illness was a challenge from the beginning of the project. As a result of regular advocacy now government health department are arranging medicines for persons with mental illness at local level.
- Local government institutes are incorporating disability issue in their development plan. All UPs, Municipality and City Corporation Wards of project locations have separate disability inclusive action plans.
- Potential of women with disabilities are well recognized by their community as well as government and thus 4 of the self help group members from different project locations got Joyeeta award for their tremendous impact on society in issues of women empowerment
- For the continuous advocacy, awareness and intervention of the project, the community has grown their ownership in different development initiative taken by the project. As result now they not only get involved in the local initiatives now but also contribute financially for creating inclusive schools and community clinic.